Quality Assurance for Soil Moisture
The QA4SM project provides an operational online validation service for soil moisture products (https://qa4sm.eodc.eu/). The easy-to-use service allows users to quickly generate traceable validation results using an open access valdidation framework, Pytesmo.
Development of the service is ongoing with new features being added each month. The service allows the validation of various EO datasets including C3S SM, SMAP L3 and ASCAT from the H-SAF project against reference data from ISMN and GLDAS.
- Develop an online validation service accepted by user community
- Enhance the traceability of soil moisture validation
- Provide input to community good practice guidance on soil moisture validation
QA4SM is supported by the Austrian Space Application Programme.
May 2018 - October 2019
Main roles of CLIMERS
- Scientific lead
- Development of quality metrics including stability
- Technical expertise on EO datasets and validation frameworks
CLIMERS members involved
- Wouter Dorigo (science lead)
- Tracy Scanlon (technical lead, quality metrics research)
- Wolfgang Preimesberger (dataset support and development of validation framework)
- Philip Buttinger (technical support and visualisation specialist)
- 2018-11-15: QA4SM presented at the ESA CCI SM Phase 2 project final meeting
- 2018-10-24: QA4SM presented at the 5th satellite soil moisture validation and application workshop
- Tracy Scanlon, Angelika Xaver, Wouter Dorigo, Doris Baum, Irene Himmelbauer, Wolfgang Preimesberger, Philip Buttinger, Luca Zappa, Zoltan Bakcsa, Alexander Boresch: Validation of soil moisture products using ISMN and an automated online service. CCI Soil Moisture Workshop, Vienna, Austria; 11/2018
- Tracy Scanlon, Angelika Xaver, Wouter Dorigo, Doris Baum, Irene Himmelbauer, Wolfgang Preimesberger, Philip Buttinger, Luca Zappa, Zoltan Bakcsa, Alexander Boresch: Validation of soil moisture products using ISMN and an automated online service. The 5th Satellite Soil Moisture Validation and Application Workshop, Fairfax, VA, USA; 10/2018
Official project URL