C3S Soil Moisture
The Copernicus Climate Change Service (C3S) aims to provide authoritative, quality assured climate data records of essential climate variables (ECVs). The EODC is the data provider for the soil moisture ECV with AWST, VanderSat and TU Wien as subcontractors. In this project we will build upon the legacy of the ESA CCI Soil Moisture project to produce a long-term consistent soil moisture climate data record and update this product every 10 days with the latest observations. In addition to the daily active, passive and combined active+passive microwave soil moisture products also dekadal (10-daily) and monthly mean products aregenerated and provided to the Copernicus Climate Data Store.
- Copernicus Programme
- November 2016 - July 2024
Main roles CLIMERS
- Development of the long term data record processor
- Quality assurance of the datasets
- Provision of temporally and spatially resampled data
CLIMERS members involved
Official project URL
- European State of the Climate report for 2018. Chapters: wet and dry conditions and vegetation and land surface.
- Tracy Scanlon, Wouter Dorigo, Doris Baum, Wolfgang Preimesberger, Philip Buttinger, Zoltan Bakcsa, Robert van der Schalie, Christoph Reimer, Martin Hirschi, Richard Kidd, Richard de Jeu, and Alexander Boresch: ESA CCI and C3S Soil Moisture - Recent advances and quality assurance based on the online validation platform QA4SM. EGU 2019, Vienna, Austria; 04/2019
- Tracy Scanlon, Wouter Dorigo, Alexander Gruber, Robin van der Schalie, Christoph Paulik, Christoph Reimer, Nadine Nicolai-Shaw, Richard Kidd, Richard de Jeu, Philip Buttinger, Wolfgang Wagner: ESA CCI and C3S Soil Moisture Products: Generation and Quality Assurance. EGU 2018, Vienna, Austria; 04/2018
- "Italy's drought seen from space" (ESA Observing the Earth)